Is It Time For Your Business To Buy A Server?
You know your company is growing when you need to install a “real” server instead of having a spare desktop computer serve as the repository for your company’s files and applications. But how do you really know that time is here?
Why Buy A Server?
Instead of having your staff access the same files stored across multiple workstation computers, they can turn to the server. With a server, you have an efficient way for users to share, manage, and back up your most critical files.
When Is It Time?
There are a few general rules to go by:
- If your office numbers over 5 people that’s usually a good time to consider it.
- Or, if the loss of your business’s data would be catastrophic to your business, it’s probably time to start shopping.
- Finally, you may have acquired some line of business application, or considering it, that requires a server.
Quick Tips For Buying Your First Server
- Make it scalable. Take growth into consideration. A server that can’t grow with you will need to be replaced, and that’s a pretty expensive mistake.
- Pennywise. Don’t try to save money by letting someone use the server as their desktop – or using a high-end desktop as your server. You’re just asking for trouble.
- Consult a professional. Consult with an IT professional who is certified on server hardware and architectures. Explain your goals, current situation, and budget. A good IT consultant will come to your office and do a survey of your existing needs, wants, and price a server accordingly.